This is such an easy AND healthy AND new AND filling way to make pasta. We eat a lot of pasta around here, it’s one of those easy to have on hand items that are satisfying for us and Knox. Instead of pouring a jar of red sauce over noodles, this pasta has no sauce- but it is SO full of bright flavors and it’s something we’ve been making over and over again. You can use any type of sausage you like- pork/ sage/ chicken, and type of veggies zucchini/ asparagus/ tomatoes and any type of herbs parsley/ basil/ cilantro would ALL work well in this dish. It’s versatile like that- you’re welcome. Trust, you will not miss the marinara at all. This made 3 adult portions and 1.5 child portions.
SPAGHETTI WITH SAUSAGE AND VEGGIES
½ pound whole wheat spaghetti
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 pound chicken sausage
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 pound zucchini ( or asparagus), trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to package direction, stirring occasionally, until just tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Remove the sausage to paper towel lined plate, setting aside. Add an additional 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Add the garlic and cook until golden but not browned, stirring often, about 30 seconds.
4. Add the zucchini, tomatoes and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Pour in the chicken stock, add the sausage back to the pan, and simmer everything together on medium for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add the cooked, drained pasta to the pan, tossing to combine. If the sauce is a bit dry, add a splash more chicken stock. Drizzle with lemon juice, sprinkle with parsley and parmesan. Taste and add additional salt or lemon juice if you like. Serve warm.