The perfect Sunday night dinner, this roast with carrots cooks all day and falls apart tender to eat. We served with potato wedges, everything got a hit of fresh chopped parsley. Red wine and friends make this even better.
Roast Recipe, adapted slightly from Carlsbad Cravings
- 3 pound chuck roast trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoons dry minced onion
- 3 packets beef bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut in the 4″ pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Heat oil over high heat in a large dutch oven with lid. Using tongs, sear meat on all sides until lightly browned, turn off heat. Add whole garlic cloves into the crevices of the roast (usually where there is a seam of fat). Add desired amount of carrots surrounding roast.
In a medium bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients and pour over roast and carrots.
Cover with lid and roast for 30 minutes at 425 degrees F.
Turn roast over, re-cover with lid and turn your oven down to 300 degrees F. Continue to roast for an additional 3-4 hours at 300 degrees F. Roast is ready when it is fall apart tender.
Remove roast and carrots from oven to a serving platter and let roast sit 30 minutes before carving to reabsorb the juices.
- Serve with fresh parsley and Potato Wedges
BAKED GARLIC PARMESAN POTATO WEDGES
- 3 large russet potatoes, sliced into wedges
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- optional: fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Place potato wedges in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. In a small bowl whisk together salt, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Sprinkle potato wedges with the shredded cheese, tossing to coat, then sprinkle with the seasoning mixture.
- Place potato wedges on prepared baking sheet in a single layer with skin-sides-down. Bake for 25-35 minutes until potatoes are fork-tender and golden. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and dressing for dipping.