Who doesn’t love cupcakes? I know I do, but I also don’t want to undo all my hard work at the gym. This recipe comes from a fun blogger fitfoodiefinds.com that makes some really inspiring healthified desserts, a fellow sweet tooth after dinner like us 🙂 It’s the first real recipe I have followed from her blog so I didn’t make any changes- these are so yummy, the cake was moist and spongy and the frosting was to die for- I love raspberries! Some updates for next time: I would use the stand mixer to beat the cake batter for 2 minutes so it’s less spongy and more cakey- flavor was perfect! Also, using 4 ounces of cream cheese and 1/3 cup yogurt for the frosting, mine was a little runny even after refrigeration. It also made extra frosting, so you could 1/2 the recipe for that entirely, and have enough for all 12 cupcakes. Follow original link for the original recipe, or trust us and make it with our updates, they are delicious!
Recipe adapted from: Lee Hersh at Anytime Health
Makes 12, 175 calories each
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 egg, large
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Then, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In your mixer, combine wet ingredients, beat on medium speed for 1 minute
- In a small bowl combine dry ingredients
- Add dry to wet, mix to combine on low speed then beat on medium/ high for 2 minutes
- Fill each cup about 2/3 of the way full with the batter.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until set. Test cupcake with a toothpick
- Let cool completely before applying the frosting- 30 minutes
While your cupcakes are in the oven, prepare your Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting. The frosting will need to sit in the refrigerator for about an hour before piping.
Lighter Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4-ounces neufchatel cream cheese
- 1/3 cup non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup confectioner sugar, packed
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, cleaned and dry
- In your stand mixer bowl, combine cream cheese, yogurt- Mix until there are no lumps. Slowly add in the powdered sugar till combined then beat on medium/high for 1-2 minutes till smooth. Then, add in fresh raspberries and mix again, breaking up the raspberries.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Once completely chilled, transfer to a piping bag ( or zip bag with corner cut off) and pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Place a fresh raspberry on top for garnish.
Store in the refrigerator for no more than 5 days ( if they last that long!)