Oh, words cannot describe how incredible this cake is…. butter… sugar…. blueberries, fresh lemon zest…juice…extract. It is SO rich and decadent and flavorful and tender and all the things you want in an indulgent old-fashioned bundt cake. We made this to share because you can’t just have one slice if it’s in your home, we highly recommend making this for a summer gathering and enjoying with lots of friends!! Thank you Heidi for sharing this one 🙂
Adapted from Celebrating the Midwestern Table ( pg 298)
- 3 1/4 cups + 3 TBSP cake flour
- 1 teaspoon each baking soda, salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Grated zest of 2 large lemons
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries
- Nonstick baking spray, for pan
- Tart Lemon Glaze ( recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, place rack in center of oven. Generously grease a 12-cup bundt pan, lightly dust with flour, tap out.
- In a bowl, sift 3 1/4 cups flour with baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars and lemon zest on high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and extract, beat for 3 minutes ( batter will be thick and smooth) Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture and buttermilk till well combined.
- In a bowl, toss blueberries and remaining 3T of flour; gently fold into batter with a wooden spoon.
- Spread batter in prepared pan and bang pan on the counter to settle the batter, use a spatula to smooth the surface.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes. Cool in pan 20 minutes. Invert onto a rack with foil under; cool slightly and then brush with the glaze, continue to brush glaze drippings from foil back to cake until cooled and covered
Tart Lemon Glaze
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
3 T fresh lemon juice
4T unsalted butter, melted
pinch of salt
Process zest and sugar in food processor until finely minced. Add remaining ingredients and mix till smooth, keep at room temp until ready to use.